Jose Family


Desmond SLANEYAge: 22 years19221944

Desmond SLANEY
Given names
Birth 1922 33 29
Note: FreeBMD entry -
Death of a maternal grandmotherEmily Edith CRAPP
1936 (Age 14 years)
Note: June qtr 1936
Death of a maternal grandfatherCharles Edwin DUNSTAN
1943 (Age 21 years)

Note: Dec qtr 1943
Death February 14, 1944 (Age 22 years)
Note: Listed as A/A.B Desmond Slaney and serving on President III (S.S. Salviking) 1944 vol 9 page 3547 in the War Deaths (Naval Ratings) 1939-1948
FreeBMD entry - Sept qtr 1922 Oldham district 8d 1101
Listed as A/A.B Desmond Slaney and serving on President III (S.S. Salviking) 1944 vol 9 page 3547 in the War Deaths (Naval Ratings) 1939-1948
Served on the SS Salviking, which was torpedoed by a U-boat in the Indian Ocean, 14th February, 1944
Some information on the Salviking and its sinking - Launched: 22 Dec, 1942 Commissioned: 27 Jan, 1943 Lost: 14 Feb, 1944 Loss position: 03.30N, 76.30E (See a map) History: Torpedoed and sunk on 14 February 1944 by U-168 in the Indian Ocean, south west of Ceylon in position 03º30'N, 76º30'E. Hit by U-boat Sunk on 14 Feb, 1944 by U-168 (Pich). King Salvor Class Salvage Vessels Displacing 1,780 tons these salvage vessels measured 217ft in length, 37ft in beam with a 13ft draught. Powered by Reciprocating steam engines, with two shafts, they had a speed of 12 knots. During the 1940s these vessels were manned by the Royal Navy and later by the Port Auxiliary Service. They had a complement of between 52 and 72.
The fate of the U Boat U-168 was as follows - U-168 Type IXC/40 Laid down 15 Mar, 1941 Seebeck, Bremen Commissioned 10 Sep, 1942 Kptlt. Helmut Pich Commanders 10 Sep, 1942 - 6 Oct, 1944 Kptlt. Helmuth Pich Career 4 patrols 10 Sep, 1942 - 28 Feb, 1943 4. Flottille (training) 1 Mar, 1943 - 30 Sep, 1944 2. Flottille (front boat) 1 Oct, 1944 - 6 Oct, 1944 33. Flottille (front boat) Successes 2 ships sunk for a total of 6.568 GRT 1 auxiliary warship sunk for a total of 1.440 GRT 1 ship damaged for a total of 9.804 GRT Fate Sunk at 0130hrs on 6 October, 1944 in the Java Sea, in position 06.20S, 111.28E, by a torpedo from the Dutch submarine HrMs Zwaardvisch. 23 dead and 27 survivors.
The sinking of Salviking In 1943 Cyril Smith was serving as a Radio Officer with Marconi International Marine when he was informed that he would be transferred to Risdon Beazley Limited of Southampton at the request of the Royal Naval Authority. The Naval Officer in charge sorted out the transfer and Cyril was sent to Colombo to join the Salviking as First Radio Officer/ Purser. His No. 2 also came from the UK, he had a war time certificate to act as a Junior Telegraphist, a job he combined with that of Storekeeper. Salviking's task was to remove the wreck of the Destroyer HMS Tenedos, which the Japanese had sunk in a raid in 1942. At approximately 1600 on the 12th February 1944 the Salviking was ordered to sea as the trooper Khedive Ismail (Managed by British India S N Co for the M.O.W.T.) had been torpedoed by the Japanese submarine I – 27. The troop ship was being escorted by the HM Destroyers Paladin and Petard, which succeeded in sinking the submarine: However Paladin suffered damage from the submarine's hydra plane that had opened up a hole 20' long and 2' wide in her hull. Her crew had moved everything possible to the starboard side to bring the damage above the water and she was beached on a island in Addu Atoll in the Maldives. Salviking set sail that evening after embarking six Royal Navy divers under the command of a Warrant Officer, who were to assist Salviking's two divers if required. The sea was flat, the moon made everything as bright as if it was daylight and every movement produced brilliant phosphorescence. Cyril continues “ It was the first time my No. 2 and I had both been called upon as Radio Officers to keep radio watch. At the change of the watch at midnight going into 14th February 1944 the Second Mate on watch shouted through the wireless cabin port hole that we were being attacked. He had quite clearly seen a torpedo going under the ship in the phosphorescence. He gave me a position but at the same time the submarine was adjusting the depth of the second torpedo which hit the Salviking in the stern partly destroying some of the accommodation aft. As the Salviking was only 1500 tons, voices could be heard from one end of the ship to the other. It became clear that everyone was heading towards the life boat which was launched together with a diesel engine boat. The Captain did not go onto the bridge but went straight onto the deck to ensure everyone who could get off the ship was going into one or the other of the boats. Meanwhile I was sending a message which in those days was “SSS” and indicated wewere being attacked by a submarine. A dog and a monkey were also attached to the crew and both were taken into the lifeboat! My No.2 had the job of taking an emergency transmitter in the first boat to get away. He had completed part of his job by putting the emergency transmitter into the boat but then came back to the wireless cabin to see how long I was going to be. The Chief Officer, acting on his own initiative and I was told against orders, went to search below deck for any survivors and was instrumental in rescuing the Third Engineer. To cut a long story short, the submarine surfaced which caused considerable concern as we had no way of knowing whether she was German or Japanese. The Germans had a reputation of treating survivors much better than the Japanese at that time. After the event, on reflection, she appeared to look at us to check if we were alright and then disappeared. Many years later we learned that she was in fact the German submarine U-168 which the Royal Navy sank the following October with the loss of all hands. For me, the night was full of anxiety since the only measure of the success of the distress signal would be the appearance of a rescue vessel. Sea conditions continued to be in our favour and the next morning an Indian Navy converted trawler appeared on the horizon which took us on board and took the diesel engine motor boat in tow. We headed for Addu Atoll some 60 miles away”. The trip home was also full of adventure. They were sent via Bombay, where they were to join a returning passenger vessel. To pass the time Cyril and his No.2 went to the cinema, during the performance there was an enormous explosion and debris rained down on the building. As soon as it was safe to come out they emerged to a scene of devastation, they both volunteered to help but were told that there was nothing that they could do. The SS Fort Stikine, with a cargo that included a large amount of explosives, had caught fire and suffered two massive explosions. Twelve other ships were wrecked, either by the explosion of the ensuing tidal wave, thousands died. After some leave Cyril joined the RB managed Salventure, again as 1st Radio Officer & Purser. He remained on that ship, based in Malta, until September 1946, when he retired from the sea. A number of people died including some or all of the Navy divers and the DEMS gunners, I think that Billy gave me the names of the MN casualties, but I can't put my hands on the file! 30 This report is from Cyril Smith's records. 31 Like the other Admiralty salvage vessels that RB managed Salviking is often described as HMS Salviking, but crew members from these ships are adamant that the vessels flew the Red Ensign of the Merchant Service and their crews were civilians. This is confirmed by the fact that they signed Articles and had Discharge Books.. The above from
Media objectU-168U-168
Format: image/jpeg
Image dimensions: 841 × 563 pixels
File size: 116 KB